- Note: Products that are reviewed (hardware or software) are personally owned or freeware that appear in this blog.
Top 50 Higher-Ed Blogs 2016
Hits | SV (NI)
- 2,908,360 visits
Steve’s FavoritesMicrosoft Answers -
Ask Questions-Get Answers
ARS Technica' Blog
Bill Mullins' Blog
Brickhouse Labs is committed to learning, teaching and deploying all things technology. Coolest Gadgets
What's On My PC
Security Blogs The Hacker News Naked Security Threat Post Krebs on Security Tao Security Uncommon Sense Security Dark Reading
The Windows Club
- Want a fast and safer browser? Try Brave
- Find rogue APs with Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector using signal strength and sound
- How to get OpenWRT on a Rosewill RNX-N150RT Router? Flash it to DD-WRT then flash to a TP-Link TL-WR741N. Finish with OpenWRT or Gargoyle and out perform may AC routers.
- SSL not showing green lock? Here’s some things to try.
- HDD drive slow? It could be your network card…
- Exclusive: Dutch Cops on AlphaBay ‘Refugees’ Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:14 pm
- After AlphaBay’s Demise, Customers Flocked to Dark Market Run by Dutch Police Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:23 pm
- Trump Hotels Hit By 3rd Card Breach in 2 Years Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:43 pm
- Experts in Lather Over ‘gSOAP’ Security Flaw Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:30 pm
- Porn Spam Botnet Has Evil Twitter Twin Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:11 pm
- Thieves Used Infrared to Pull Data from ATM ‘Insert Skimmers’ Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:28 pm
- Adobe, Microsoft Push Critical Security Fixes Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:26 pm
- Self-Service Food Kiosk Vendor Avanti Hacked Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:09 pm
- B&B Theatres Hit in 2-Year Credit Card Breach Friday, July 7, 2017 3:26 pm
- Who is the GovRAT Author and Mirai Botmaster ‘Bestbuy’? Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:25 am
Tag Archives: Hardware
Want to use PowerShell to scan or repair your drive(s)? Use the commands below to check your drives. Need to run a quick check? Type the following using PowerShell as the Administrator. Repair-Volume -DriveLetter C -SpotFix If you need to … Continue reading
Want to check your hard disk / solid state disk for errors? Use stordiag to test your storage. First run stordiag.exe -out c:\users\yourusername\desktop\stordiag Next run – stordiag.exe -collectEtw -checkFSConsistency -out c:\users\yourusername\desktop\stordiag This will return logs, registry entries and other information … Continue reading
Only see a single processor in Windows 8 or Windows 10? You can see all of the processors by switching to logical processors by changing the view. Right click on the graph and select change graph to and select logical … Continue reading
Want to control your mouse with just your hand or voice commands? NPointer by neurotechnology is freeware You can also use Camera Mouse which is freeware where you can use just your head. Camera Mouse
Need the latest drivers for your computer? Use Snappy Driver to comb the internet for your drivers. http://sourceforge.net/projects/snappy-driver-installer/?source=typ_redirect
When a good friend gave me a laptop, the quad core (Intel i3), 6 Gb Ram seemed slow. Thinking back to an old post, Resizing your HDD to increase performance, I decided to see what the difference in performance would … Continue reading
Here’s an older program from contactplus.com that I have used for years. This program is old but works on newer operating systems. This powerful little freeware shows you size and detailed file information about your drives.
Tobii tracking software will be at CES 2012. This amazing software and hardware track your eye movement and allow you to use Windows 8 without touching your mouse or screen. Read their press release.
Brandon and some of the other students including myself dream of having a solid state drive. Bill Mullins recently purchased a solid state drive and gives and excellent review of how solid state drives are truly the way to go. … Continue reading
The HD Doctor Blog has dozens of Freeware utilities for hard drive information and maintenance. Go check it out.
Want to know more about the hardware you are running? How about a small program that has a small benchmark, sensor program and shows detailed information about your video card and cpu? HWInfo comes in both 32 bit and 64 … Continue reading
Computer hardware and memory charts can be found on Geekologie. An excellent resource for identifying computer hardware. D. Babian, GSAE
Macrium Reflect allows you to replicate your old hard drive. With Christmas coming up, this software can replicate your drive when you get the new one for Christmas. Macrium Reflect. From Macrium Relect’s website: Create a disk image whilst running … Continue reading
SATA 6Gbit/sec.: Does it double your SATA speed?.
Tonight I reminded my students to check their motherboard manufacturer’s website for downloads and support on their motherboards as their computers begin to age. Motherboard manufacturers often update BIOS to support more RAM, processors, other hardware or to correct issues … Continue reading
Seagate’s huge new 3TB drive won’t work on your PC – Computerworld Blogs This article was posted on Computerworld and I have to disagree…. PC manufacturers along with leading operating systems will make modifications in order for larger drives to … Continue reading
Rick over at Whats On My PC (blog) once again has found a great free software program. Paragon backup and recovery has dozens of features allowing you to keep your data safe. Go over and read his review.
With many different applications available, there are several that analysis your computer and find out details about the hardware you have installed. HWiNFO32 scans your computer and finds out details about your hardware. With information about every piece of hardware, … Continue reading
Blzckbox allow you to benchmark and detect your current hardware. Link