- Note: Products that are reviewed (hardware or software) are personally owned or freeware that appear in this blog.
Top 50 Higher-Ed Blogs 2016
Hits | SV (NI)
- 2,912,423 visits
Steve’s FavoritesMicrosoft Answers -
Ask Questions-Get Answers
ARS Technica' Blog
Bill Mullins' Blog
Brickhouse Labs is committed to learning, teaching and deploying all things technology. Coolest Gadgets
What's On My PC
Security Blogs The Hacker News Naked Security Threat Post Krebs on Security Tao Security Uncommon Sense Security Dark Reading
The Windows Club
- Internet or network application slow? You may need to temporarily disable Nagle’s Algorithm
- Want a fast and safer browser? Try Brave
- Find rogue APs with Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector using signal strength and sound
- How to get OpenWRT on a Rosewill RNX-N150RT Router? Flash it to DD-WRT then flash to a TP-Link TL-WR741N. Finish with OpenWRT or Gargoyle and out perform may AC routers.
- SSL not showing green lock? Here’s some things to try.
- Gas Pump Skimmer Sends Card Data Via Text Thursday, July 27, 2017 11:08 am
- How a Citadel Trojan Developer Got Busted Tuesday, July 25, 2017 4:11 pm
- Exclusive: Dutch Cops on AlphaBay ‘Refugees’ Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:14 pm
- After AlphaBay’s Demise, Customers Flocked to Dark Market Run by Dutch Police Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:23 pm
- Trump Hotels Hit By 3rd Card Breach in 2 Years Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:43 pm
- Experts in Lather Over ‘gSOAP’ Security Flaw Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:30 pm
- Porn Spam Botnet Has Evil Twitter Twin Sunday, July 16, 2017 12:11 pm
- Thieves Used Infrared to Pull Data from ATM ‘Insert Skimmers’ Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:28 pm
- Adobe, Microsoft Push Critical Security Fixes Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:26 pm
- Self-Service Food Kiosk Vendor Avanti Hacked Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:09 pm
Tag Archives: windows utilities
Want to check your hard disk / solid state disk for errors? Use stordiag to test your storage. First run stordiag.exe -out c:\users\yourusername\desktop\stordiag Next run – stordiag.exe -collectEtw -checkFSConsistency -out c:\users\yourusername\desktop\stordiag This will return logs, registry entries and other information … Continue reading
In the past, compression of a hard drive was necessary because we didn’t have enough room for files. HDD were expensive and compression was slow. Here’s the result of compacting the Windows folder on an Acer dual core, 2.2 Ghz … Continue reading
If you work on computers, you need to be aware of SARDU and its ability to download recovery ISOs. This utility can create a boot DVD or USB to remove viruses, recover Windows or break passwords (legally if the … Continue reading
System Information Utilities can provide you with information about your computer when planning an update of hardware or for drivers. Here’s a few system information utilities that are free. HWInfo System Spec Speccy
Want a reliable tool to measure your HDD or SSD speed? HD Tach 22.214.171.124 is an excellent tool originally designed to measure HDD speed for Windows XP or Windows 2000. So how can you run this program under Windows 7 … Continue reading
If your computer is running slow and you need to do a little house keeping, use a program we found at What’s On My PC. Clean Windows thoroughly with Clean Master. Clean Master, is usually a program used on … Continue reading
Puran Uilities is an excellent all in one utility that has a ton of features. Disk Check Recover bad sectors on your hard disk using chkdsk. 4 out of 5 Uninstaller Uninstall software and hard to uninstall software 4.5 out … Continue reading
It’s hard to beat Rick over at Whats On My PC. He is always finding some of the best tools you can use to keep your computer running like new. With IOBit’s Portable Free PC Repair ToolBox, this all … Continue reading
So you have installed and uninstalled programs over the years. Did you know you could have dozens or even hundreds of empty folders on your computer. Delete these Folders with Empty Folder Nuker. Empty Folder Nuker deletes … Continue reading
KLS Soft has an excellent program (Windows System Control Center) that is free for personal or commercial use. WSCC is a freeware utility that allows you to execute, organize, install and update utilities. Utilities such as Sysinternals’, Nirsoft’s portable freeware … Continue reading
Rick once again has found another excellent website that allows you to launch Sysinternals from the web. Sysinternals has several – File and Disk Utilities, Networking Utilities, Process Utilities, Security Utilities, System Information Utilities and Miscellaneous Utilities. Go over and check out his review. … Continue reading
Bill Mullins has an excellent review of the utilities to repair Windows on Tweaking.com. Visit his site for a complete review. Thanks Bill! Fast facts – Windows Repair can do the following: Reset Registry Permissions Reset File Permissions Register … Continue reading
Jared Ledlow a blogger was a student at TTC Shelbyville – he recently posted an excellent article and video on HDGraph.
What is starting up on my computer? Can’t see it in MSConfig? Here’s a great program to see what is starting on your computer. Security Autorun
Have you deleted a file on your computer and you really need it back? NTFS Undelete is a powerful software that allows you to restore many if not all of the files you deleted. Freeware, NTFS Undelete is one of … Continue reading
Want to know if you can run a program? Use Can You Run IT? over at System Requirements Lab
Looking for an alternate software to possibly replace what you currently use? Use AlternateTo to find programs that are alike.
Glarysoft has an excellent disk defragmentation tool that allows you to schedule, defrag drives independently or together, defrag and optimize, adjust settings and move files that are not used often or that are large to the end of the hard … Continue reading
Want to tuneup Windows and make your computer run better? Here’s another utility you can use to make Windows run better. CIL Software has Complete System Tuneup that helps you defrag, cleanup, look at startup files and more.
Want to find out what is in your startup? Use NirSoft’s WhatInStartup. A freeware program that helps you located programs that are starting up on your computer. Also see our article on another great startup program from Sysinternals (Autoruns) –