Finally found a small problem with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. After upgrading, we have discovered that Windows was responding slow to our SQL Server 2008 and SQL Server / other versions. What we discovered is below.
Slow response times in Windows to a SQL Server can be due to the LLMNR protocol. This may be resolved by turning off the LLMNR protocol.
LLMNR is a protocol that allows both IPv6/4 computers to perform name resolution for the NetBIOS names of other computers without requiring a DNS server.
IPv4 hosts can use NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) to resolve computer names to IPv4 addresses for neighboring computers by broadcasting a NetBIOS Query.
All IPv4-based LLMNR hosts listen on the IPv4 multicast address 126.96.36.199 instruct their Ethernet network adapters to listen for Ethernet frames with a destination multicast address.
Windows -based LLMNR computers do not send or respond to unicast queries.
To disable LLMNR:
Modify Group Policy – Go to Search – Type GPEdit.msc – Enter – Navigate to the following and make sure Enabled is checked –
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\DNS Client
\Turn off Multicast Name Resolution = Enabled
How does Multicasting Work? Here’s a good explanation
Dawn M. Babian, GSAE
Disabling LLMNR (Below)
Professional or Enterprise (Gpedit.msc)
Create a registry key as follows –
You also should go to your network adapter properties and disable all of the settings under the advanced properties such as TCP/Offload and other advanced settings. Remember, not all adapters have advanced options – disable any settings that allow you to do so….
Disable your anti-virus and check the speed. Is your anti-virus causing issues?
See our article –
GUI Maintenace Program for MSSQL or MYSQL
Want an excellent program to manage your MySQL server from Windows? With MySQL, you can download MySQL Workbench. MySQL Workbench offers great graphics on your MySQL incident and an interface that offers features such as queries and status of your server.
But what if you want to run maintenance programs such as Analyze, Backup, Check, Checksum, Optimize or to Repair your database quickly? HeidiSQL offers dozens of features including an excellent maintenance option. (Support for MySQL and MSSQL)
- Support for MySQL
- Support for MSSQL
- Support for PostgresSQL
- Free for everyone, OpenSource since 9 years of active development.
- Connect to multiple servers in one window
- Connect to servers via commandline
- Connect via SSH tunnel, or pass SSL settings
- Create and edit tables, views, stored routines, triggers and scheduled events.
- Generate nice SQL-exports, compress these afterwards, or put them on the clipboard.
- Export from one server/database directly to another server/database
- Manage user-privileges
- Import text-files
- Export table rows as CSV, HTML, XML, SQL, LaTeX, Wiki Markup and PHP Array
- Browse and edit table-data using a comfortable grid
- Bulk edit tables (move to db, change engine, collation etc.)
- Batch-insert ascii or binary files into tables
- Write queries with customizable syntax-highlighting and code-completion
- Pretty reformat disordered SQL
- Monitor and kill client-processes
- Find specific text in all tables of all databases of one server
- Optimize and repair tables in a batch manner
- Launch a parallel mysql.exe command line window using your current connection settings
More information on MYSQL Maintenace