Windows 7 SP1 is a necessary critical update that should be applied when reinstalling or updating Windows. You may run into errors when applying this service pack. During the update, the update may stall or revert changes. What should you do?
Be Patient – The installation failure or reverting changes may take up to an hour or more.
- Boot into Safe Mode with networking (Reboot hit F8 several times and select Safe Mode)
- Be patient this can take an hour or more during the reverting process
- Once in Safe Mode with networking, disable all antivirus software – Look for other antivirus software programs that may have been installed at an earlier date and remove these (You may have to use removal tools from the vendor). Also look for any old installations of other anti-virus software or malware tools under c:\program files\any old anti-virus software. Remove these with Programs and Features (Add/Remove Software) if possible.
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder under C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistributionold
- Delete any files under C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Temp
- Download Tweaking from here
- Select all repairs and reboot (This may take 20 minutes to 1 hour)
- Download the System Update Readiness Tool from here
- Run this Tool
- Download Windows 7 SP1 (Full Download) from here
Why Tweaking All-in-one?
Reset Registry Permissions
Reset File Permissions
Register System Files
Repair Windows Firewall
Repair Internet Explorer
Repair MDAC & MS Jet
Repair Hosts File
Remove Policies Set By Infections
Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
Remove Temp Files
Repair Proxy Settings
Unhide Non System Files
Repair Windows Updates
Repair CD/DVD Missing/Not Working