A Virtual Private Network is used to encrypt data from one computer to another. If you need to setup a VPN in Microsoft Windows 7, create a user and shared folder on the host computer. Once this is done, follow these steps-
On the Hosting Computer
1. Go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
2. Click on Change adapter settings
3. Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection…
4. Put a check mark by the user who will have access to this computer or configure a new account by clicking on Add someone… Click Next.
5. Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click Next.
6. Select the protocols for this connection. Click Allow access.
7. Make note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer. Click Close.
8. An Incoming Connections icon will be in Network Connections. Your computer is now ready to accept incoming VPN connections.
On the Computer Dialing In
Open up network and sharing center from the Control Panel, and choose Set up a new connection or network.
Use My Internet Connection (VPN)
Type in the IP Address of the Hosting Computer – Click Next (leave the user information blank to be safe)
You will now have a small icon on your network icon (by the time) that will show the connection. Clicking on this icon allows you to enter your username and password to connect.