NTFS. You’ve worked with it for years. Microsoft’s NTFS is not being replaced by ReFS. ReFS is available for Windows 8.1 and Server 2012. What if you have extra drives and need the data protection? ReFS may be for you. (or Storage Spaces ~See upcoming article)
ReFS is the Resilient File System that makes disk more reliable and works like this.
- Uses checksums to detect if your data is changed
- Able to detect and recover from corruption
- Data is written to a new part of the disk if the above is the case
- Recovers without limiting availability of the disk
- Integrity data streams can also be enabled
- File system metadata is protected
- No chkdsk
- Handles 1 Yottabyte ( 1 quadrillion GBs?)
While the boot volume should still be in NTFS, this file system is ideal for servers and workstations that need extra data protection. The other drives can ideally be made ReFS.
More information from Microsoft