Having a problem uninstalling the Dell Data Access Software and upgrading to 8.1? Here’s some tips –
- Dell’s recommendation for upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Link
- If the software does not uninstall properly, run Microsoft’s fix-it to uninstall the program (Link) you may also run a registry cleaner that can clear the software from your registry.
Our Solution – This may not fit your needs. Always backup your data.
- Uninstall the Dell Data Access software (We had 15 pcs that had remains left after the uninstall
- Make sure the software is not listed in the Programs and Features list
- Navigate to C:\program files and C:\program files (x86)
- Remove the files under the subfolder ‘Dell’ that are related to the Dell Data Access software
- If you cannot, open the task manager and click on the details tab.
- Find the process TDMService.exe, right click and end the process tree
- Immediately delete the .exes in the above subfolder – you may have to end the process (the process may restart)
- Delete the files manually (Only the protection files and folders)
- Run the microsoft fix-it above and/or a registry cleaner
- Install Windows 8.1
It seems this is a problem that has many fixes – The above is our fix that worked for us…
Other tips that may help once Windows 8.1 upgrading starts –
Remove 3rd party software
Disable the anti-virus software
Run cleaners and defrag