We have a ton of articles on DD-WRT and have used the firmware for a ton of different routers. Recently we looked into Tomato another free firmware upgrade for the older Linksys WRT54G routers.
Tomato like DD-WRT offers a ton of features more than the factory firmware that came on the older Linksys (802.11g) routers.
My curiosity got the most of me when my father-in-law George brought me an older Linksys to tinker with.
I had initially had upgraded the WRT54G (Version 3.0) with DD-WRT and decided to give Tomato a try. Navigating to Administration in the DD-WRT GUI, I followed the instructions of Tomato and upgraded the firmware. I immediately noticed that the power light began to flash and fearing the worst, I thought I had ‘bricked’ the router. The router would only respond to pings and I could not navigate to the Administration page or telnet into the router.
In order to try to get the router to function properly, I decided to use TFTP and upload the firmware again. In order to do this, I entered the router’s IP and pointed to the firmware file. I manually set my ip address on my LAN NIC card to one number above the routers (last octet) and plugged a CAT5 cable into the router from my laptop.
I then unplugged the router and plugged in the router immediately clicked the upgraded button on TFTP. This forced the firmware on the router as it rebooted. I waited a good two minutes and unplugged the router to reboot it.
Tomato was successfully installed.
- Status (Overview, Device List, Logs)
- Bandwidth (Real-Time, Last 24 Hours, Daily, Weekly and Monthly)
- Tools (Ping, Tracert, Wireless Security and WOL)
- Basic Configuration (Network, Identification, Time, DDNS, Static DHCP and Wireless Filter)
- Advanced Configuration (TCP, UDP Timeouts, NAT Helpers, DHCP, DNS, Firewall, Routing and Wireless)
- Port Forwarding
- Advanced QoS with live charts
- Administration (Scripts, Schedules and more)
Tomato is a very stable firmware for several older routers and offers an alternative to factory firmware which often is unstable.