If you have ever replaced a network card on a server or computer and you can no longer access the computer or you shared a folder and cannot access it, you should flush any cache on the workstation that is accessing the server.
Insure no other users are logged in –
Open a Command Prompt as an Administrator (Type CMD in the search box)
nbtstat -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (replace the x’s with the IP address of the computer you are accessing – the computer with the new NIC card)
Also insure the NetBIOS over TCP/IP radio button is selected. (See Below)
To enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2:
- Click Start, and then click Network. (click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box for Windows 7 or Vista, hit ENTER).
- Click on the Network and Sharing Center
- Click Manage Network Connections.
- Right click on the Local Area Connection select Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
- Click the WINS tab.
- Click Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP.
- Click OK and Exit the settings.