Seagate’sGoFlex Home is a great option for any home or small business. This network NAS has dozens of options to configure the device for multiple users. (For Windows and Mac)
While this is not a thorough review of the capabilities of this device, it shows the basic options you have as we go to a mobile world (netbooks, notebooks, ultrabooks, iPads, iPods, iPhones, Androids, Microsoft Surface and other devices). Of course the device can be used with a desktop and its ability to cross platforms makes it an excellent choice.
This is where the fun begins – with a powered devices, a small hub can be used to add multiple external devices (other drives) to the GoFlex Home Network Storage Unit. Although there is only one usb port, you can add a small hub and easily add devices (Technically up to 25 other external drives)
The GoFlex can be easily connected to your network’s router or to a small switch by a small ethernet cable. Once the device is installed, you can access the device by the web interface or by going to the search box in Windows and typing \\the_ip_address.
This Home Network Storage device includes these features as described by Seagate –
- Automatic, continuous backup of all your files and folders
- Streams content to networked computers, media players and game consoles
- Free remote access to your files over the Internet
- Access your files from your mobile device using the free app for iPhone®, iPad® and Android®
- Time Machine compatible straight from the box
- When you connect GoFlex Home network storage system to your wireless router you can wirelessly stream your movies, photos and music files to any room in your home.
- When you’re on the go, GoFlex Home network storage system includes Seagate® Share™, your own personal cloud storage. The Seagate Share service lets you remotely access your files from any PC or Mac with a web browser and Internet connection.
- The GoFlex Home network storage device offers two easy ways to expand your home network’s storage capacity—no tools required.
- Simply remove the included drive from the base and replace it with a higher capacity GoFlex Desk drive
- Plug any USB storage drive into the integrated USB port”
And you can download the free GoflexAccess™ app for iPhone, iPad and Android to access your files remotely using your mobile device.
This device also ships with basic software to automate your backups if you wish to do so.
Accessing the device with your web browser
Simply enter the device’s ip address into your browser
Main menu by web browser
Preferences by web browser
Details for the above picture
- User – Preferences set appearance and file overwrite protection along with default sharing options
- Change Password
- Network Sharing – Sharing of private files
- UPNP Router Configuration – allows your device to use UPNP for performance
- Network Services – FTP
- LAN Connection – IP address information
- Date and Time
- Remote Access – (Port forwarding information and access to your files) * Please use a complex password if you opt to do this
Details for the above picture
- Add New User – This includes information including the password, username and display name
- Edit User
- Software Updates
- Seagate Share Pro $9.99 for life and has dozens of benefits including syncing
- Computers Backup
- Storage Devices – This is where the fun begins – with a powered devices, a small hub can be used to add multiple external devices – although there is only one usb port, you can add a small hub and easily add devices (Technically up to 25 other external drives)
Viewing Shares by the web interface
Setting up shares through the web browser
Highlight the folder and click the tiny arrow to the right of the file
Selecting a folder or drive to share
When you share music, it instantly streams to your iPhone, iPad or other device.
Using Windows native networking
View of all folders and external devices through network
Simply copy and paste files to your folder
More information on the Seagate GoFlex Home Network Storage (3TB, 2TB, 1TB)
Seagate Website $159 new (1TB) $189 (2TB)
Geek’s refurbished $97 refurbished (2TB)