Over 10 million credit card accounts were compromised at the end of March. This number may grow as credit card vendors look into the breach. Regardless if you bought something on line or not, you should do the follow:
- Go to Annual Credit Report (free) and obtain your credit report – look for odd information
- Visit your Credit Card Company’s website and look for messages in regards to the breach
- Watch for small unauthorized transactions in the event someone did get your number – thieves usually start with small transactions and challenge the cc company with larger purchases over time.
- Don’t fall prey to emails or phone calls from ‘unknown’ people contacting you about the breach
- Visit the Identity Theft Resource Center