- Note: Products that are reviewed (hardware or software) are personally owned or freeware that appear in this blog.
Top 50 Higher-Ed Blogs 2016
Hits | SV (NI)
- 3,044,288 visits
Steve’s FavoritesMicrosoft Answers -
Ask Questions-Get Answers
ARS Technica' Blog
Bill Mullins' Blog
Brickhouse Labs is committed to learning, teaching and deploying all things technology. Coolest Gadgets
What's On My PC
Security Blogs The Hacker News Naked Security Threat Post Krebs on Security Tao Security Uncommon Sense Security Dark Reading
The Windows Club
- Extended attributes are inconsistent error on Windows
- Optimize MySql with MySQL Workbench
- Need to optimize your network? Look at adjusting LocalPriority, HostPriority, DNSPriority or NetBTPriority.
- Need to optimize your network – Silly Window Syndrome could be happening
- View your GPU performance in the Task Manager
- CVE-2015-3934 (fiyo_cms)
- CVE-2016-10700 (cacti)
- CVE-2016-10701 (pentaho_business_analytics)
- CVE-2016-6024 (rational_collaborative_lifecycle_management, rational_doors_next_generation, rational_engineering_lifecycle_manager, rational_quality_manager, rational_rhapsody_design_manager, rational_software_architect_design_manager, rational_team_concert)
- CVE-2016-6804 (openoffice)
- Former Botmaster, ‘Darkode’ Founder is CTO of Hacked Bitcoin Mining Firm ‘NiceHash’ Friday, December 15, 2017 4:48 pm
- Mirai IoT Botnet Co-Authors Plead Guilty Wednesday, December 13, 2017 4:23 pm
- Patch Tuesday, December 2017 Edition Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:57 pm
- Phishers Are Upping Their Game. So Should You. Friday, December 8, 2017 12:35 am
- Anti-Skimmer Detector for Skimmer Scammers Tuesday, December 5, 2017 8:37 pm
- Hacked Password Service Leakbase Goes Dark Monday, December 4, 2017 5:39 am
- Former NSA Employee Pleads Guilty to Taking Classified Data Saturday, December 2, 2017 7:44 pm
- Carding Kingpin Sentenced Again. Yahoo Hacker Pleads Guilty Saturday, December 2, 2017 1:15 am
- MacOS High Sierra Users: Change Root Password Now Tuesday, November 28, 2017 10:34 pm
- Name+DOB+SSN=FAFSA Data Gold Mine Friday, November 24, 2017 12:55 pm
Monthly Archives: January 2011
VirtualBox Virtual Appliances | VirtualBoxImages.com. VirtualBox Virtual Appliances Total Activated Virtual Computers: 46,902 VDI images of pre-installed “Open Source” Operating System distros. Pre-installed virtualbox images ready for you to explore and play with. VirtualBox runs on SunOS, OpenSolaris, Mac OS … Continue reading
People are always asking me where they can get free eBooks. While there are many places to obtain free eBooks, Project Gutenberg and Google’s eBook store are some of the best online free resources. With thousands of books, new and classics … Continue reading
It’s January 28th, 2011, and that means Data Privacy Day is here! The NCSA would like to celebrate this event by emphasizing ways that everyone can contribute to cybersecurity and data privacy. See which categories apply to you and check … Continue reading
Dawn found a listing of tools that analyze crash dumps, hunt for trojans and more. Check out this website for an excellent assortment of tools.
Can you multi-task? Here’s a simple test to see. Link (Note, your computer will go to full screen.) My results are below, I was eating chocolate cake with whip cream and strawberries while feeding the dogs and watching a … Continue reading
Recently Pat had a program he needed to update. I couldn’t remember the settings to bypass a proxy server if you have a program that will not update and there are no settings to use a proxy server. Here’s his … Continue reading
This tip has been around for a while but your risk data loss in a power failure if your computer isn’t on a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) is increased. Because laptops have a battery, this can be an ideal … Continue reading
You may be able to improve your hard drive’s performance in Windows 7 by using this registry tweak. Like any registry tweak, you should have all of your files backed up and make a restore point before trying this … Continue reading
Hacker Sells Access To Military, University Websites | News & Opinion | PCMag.com.
With only 8 days left many ISPs are scrambling to get IPv6 compliant. Hurricane Electric offers many tools, tunnel broker and certifications in IPv6. Link Articles on IPv6
With the world of mobile devices upon us, is 5gb enough? After researching the way people use the internet with social websites, e-learning and streaming video is this amount enough for an average user?
Smartphone Hack Highlights More GSM Woes – Darkreading. A European researcher today showed how bugs he has discovered in the baseband chipset firmware of iPhone and Android smartphones could be exploited to ultimately take control of these devices.
Weekend Contest: Win A Bulletproof IoSafe Hard Drive.
Many manufacturers offer a download to securely erase your hard drive. Darik’s Boot and Nuke downloads as an iso that can be written to a CD or DVD. Boot and Nuke erases your hard drive when you have installation … Continue reading
Bart my not be the smallest but I haven’t seen a smaller utility to backup your files. At 50 kb, this light weight program can be used to backup your files onto your external drive or across a network. … Continue reading
Facebook Apps Allowing Access to Numbers, Addresses | News & Opinion | PCMag.com.
The Identity Theft Resource Center has reports that cover last year and information about past data breaches with prominent companies. The ITRC has information on what to do if your id is stolen. Link
Full Books Amazing list of books online.
Hacker cracks W-LAN password in 20 mins using Amazon cloud – The Local. Interesting article on how passwords can be broken if given time. By using cloud computing, this individual could use multiple fast computers to break a password on … Continue reading
Data Breaches In 2010: Indicates Mandatory Reporting Needed – Darkreading. “The Identity Theft Resource Center recorded 662 breaches on its 2010 ITRC Breach List. It is apparent, with few exceptions, that there is no transparency when it comes to reporting … Continue reading