While mobile device management (MDM) services can help a company manage its employees phones and tablets, figuring out whether the devices are up-to-date is also criticalServices Can Help Identify Mobile Risks – Dark Reading.
Seagate’sGoFlex Home is a great option for any home or small business. This network NAS has dozens of options to configure the device for multiple users. (For Windows and Mac)
While this is not a thorough review of the capabilities of this device, it shows the basic options you have as we go to a mobile world (netbooks, notebooks, ultrabooks, iPads, iPods, iPhones, Androids, Microsoft Surface and other devices). Of course the device can be used with a desktop and its ability to cross platforms makes it an excellent choice.
This is where the fun begins – with a powered devices, a small hub can be used to add multiple external devices (other drives) to the GoFlex Home Network Storage Unit. Although there is only one usb port, you can add a small hub and easily add devices (Technically up to 25 other external drives)
The GoFlex can be easily connected to your network’s router or to a small switch by a small ethernet cable. Once the device is installed, you can access the device by the web interface or by going to the search box in Windows and typing \\the_ip_address.
This Home Network Storage device includes these features as described by Seagate -
- Automatic, continuous backup of all your files and folders
- Streams content to networked computers, media players and game consoles
- Free remote access to your files over the Internet
- Access your files from your mobile device using the free app for iPhone®, iPad® and Android®
- Time Machine compatible straight from the box
- When you connect GoFlex Home network storage system to your wireless router you can wirelessly stream your movies, photos and music files to any room in your home.
- When you’re on the go, GoFlex Home network storage system includes Seagate® Share™, your own personal cloud storage. The Seagate Share service lets you remotely access your files from any PC or Mac with a web browser and Internet connection.
- The GoFlex Home network storage device offers two easy ways to expand your home network’s storage capacity—no tools required.
- Simply remove the included drive from the base and replace it with a higher capacity GoFlex Desk drive
- Plug any USB storage drive into the integrated USB port”
And you can download the free GoflexAccess™ app for iPhone, iPad and Android to access your files remotely using your mobile device.
This device also ships with basic software to automate your backups if you wish to do so.
Accessing the device with your web browser
Simply enter the device’s ip address into your browser
Main menu by web browser
Preferences by web browser
Details for the above picture
- User – Preferences set appearance and file overwrite protection along with default sharing options
- Change Password
- Network Sharing – Sharing of private files
- UPNP Router Configuration – allows your device to use UPNP for performance
- Network Services – FTP
- LAN Connection – IP address information
- Date and Time
- Remote Access – (Port forwarding information and access to your files) * Please use a complex password if you opt to do this
Details for the above picture
- Add New User – This includes information including the password, username and display name
- Edit User
- Software Updates
- Seagate Share Pro $9.99 for life and has dozens of benefits including syncing
- Computers Backup
- Storage Devices – This is where the fun begins – with a powered devices, a small hub can be used to add multiple external devices – although there is only one usb port, you can add a small hub and easily add devices (Technically up to 25 other external drives)
Viewing Shares by the web interface
Setting up shares through the web browser
Highlight the folder and click the tiny arrow to the right of the file
Selecting a folder or drive to share
When you share music, it instantly streams to your iPhone, iPad or other device.
Using Windows native networking
View of all folders and external devices through network
Simply copy and paste files to your folder
More information on the Seagate GoFlex Home Network Storage (3TB, 2TB, 1TB)
Seagate Website $159 new (1TB) $189 (2TB)
Geek’s refurbished $97 refurbished (2TB)
Need software that is free and is rated as some of the best software? AlternativeTo is an excellent website that helps you find software you can use for your Android tablet, iPhone, iPad, Windows, Linux, Mac (Apple) and even cloud software. These thousands of software applications are alternatives to paid for software.
- File Mgmt
- File Sharing
- Photo & Graphic
- Sync files
- File Management
- File Sharing
- Admin Tools
- Operating Systems
- System Utilities
Consumerization, disposable, and gadgets that can email….do tablets have a place in technology today? Here’s an opinion from MakeUseof ~
The following post is from an internet friend who posted this on her company’s blog. With Facebook and other social sites, Geotagging can pinpoint you based on pictures that have been uploaded (by you or someone else). This in-turn is placed on a map on your profile. This can be dangerous… go over and watch the video posted on their blog.
Let’s say you upload a picture to Facebook to share with your friends. If you’re doing this from a smart phone, you could be sharing more than just the photo. This video courtesy of NBC Action News shows us just how those who are tech savvy enough can cherry-pick personal information straight from your uploaded photos…see the post here
Programs like Irfanview, XNView and KUSO can be used to see geo tags…
Over the last several weeks we have talked about cloud computing, CloudU’s free certification and space in the cloud that consumers can get for free. Rick over at What’s On My PC has an excellent article on CX.com over at his site. You can sign up through Rick’s referral here or go to CX.com and get 10gb of space for free. Use their referral program to get even more space for free. Be sure to check out their android app and their desktop apps. CX.com works with Apple, Windows and other operating systems. As Rick said, you can also sign up for Microsoft’s skydrive and get 25gb for free. Don’t forget with Microsoft’s apps, you can easily sync your files with your iPad, iPhone, Android or Android tablet.
Below: Skydrive app shown on android phone. (iPhone, iPad apps available)
With workers bringing their own smartphones and tablets into the company, IT security needs to focus on creating a more secure environment, not on securing each device -Pocket Guide To Securing Mobile Devices – Dark Reading.
Take a look around and it’s easy to come to the conclusion that Apple’s iPad is what the masses want. After all, nobody’s standing in line overnight to purchase a PlayBook. Next on the list is Android, though only if the price is right (and Amazon’s Kindle Fire is priced right). Where does Windows fit in with all this? Maybe much higher than you think. Read more (Shared)
See our review of Windows 8 and see how you can run 90% of your programs, virtualize other operating systems, use your network and more.
IPads are small enough to be taken without your knowledge. Here is a device to help keep it secure.
Earlier this year I showed you how to convert your blog into a pdf that could be printed as a book or downloaded as a pdf. By using BlogBooker, you can export your WordPress blog as an xml and BlogBooker converts it to a pdf where self publishing companies can publish it.
Now you can use BlogBooker and make your blog into a pdf and upload it to Epub2Go and convert it to an Epub. Why Epub? So that iPhones, iPads, Kindles and others can read your blog as a book. (PDF files must be <30 mb.)
To read an ePub with an iPhone. Simple, download Stanza for free.
or try 2EPUB if the file is complex (supports up to 20 mb files)
Want to read it with Windows, Mac or Linux? Try Calibre.
Want to read ePub books on your iPad, iPhone or iPod? Use Stanza.